[Haskell-beginners] Haskell GUI library

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:12:51 CEST 2011

I recently did a project with Gtk2Hs and it was fine. The binding is
pretty complete, mature and closely emulates the imperative OO style
of the GTK itself so you spend most of your time in the IO monad.

While it isn't very Haskelly, it made it very easy for me to use
documentation from other GTK bindings. For example, PyGTK docs
answered many questions that I couldn't find in the Haddocks.

Other upsides using GTK were that  1) Haskell has a nice Glade library
which made it really easy to design the GUI itself 2) Haskell's type
system even though you are mostly in the IO monad was incredibly
valuable for development.

One downside was that installing Gtk2Hs and the Glade library on
Windows was not easy. It took a little messing around and I documented
my experiences in the wiki, but it appears that those instructions
haven't worked for everybody. Once I did get it installed I did all of
my development on Linux and the code worked fine without any tweaking
on Windows.

Hope this helps!
-deech