[Haskell-beginners] Return a Foldable instance

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:27:41 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Federico Mastellone <fmaste at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a function that returns a Foldable instance, briefly,
> something like this:
>
> import Data.Foldable
>
> test :: Foldable f => f Int
> test = [1,2,3,4]

One point that helped me figure things out:

The signature:

> test :: Foldable f => f Int

does NOT mean "the value test satisfies the 'Foldable' contract'

It means "the value test is of ANY 'Foldable' type". As in, it is of
whatever type the caller picks, so long as it is 'Foldable'. And a
list is not 'whatever type the caller picks.'

Type classes are used in Haskell to write polymorphic functions, not
for implementation hiding:

> myNumericalCalculation :: Fractional n => n -> n -> Bool -> n

The caller can pick if they want to use limited precision Floats or
Doubles, or if they want to pay the price for infinite precision Ratio
types, or some type that I hadn't even thought of when I wrote the
functions.

Antoine