[Haskell-beginners] cabal dependencies question

Rob Nikander rob.nikander at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:08:25 CET 2011

I was unable to normally install the "mime" package -- I got an error
that it needed "base <= 4".  I have  So I ran `cabal unpack
mime`, edited mime.cabal to say "base <=" and from that file's
directory ran `cabal install'.  It appeared to install it okay.   But
when I try to install another package that needs mime, I get the same
kind of error:

   > cabal install http-server
   Resolving dependencies...
   cabal: cannot configure mime-0.3.2. It requires base >=3 && <=4
   For the dependency on base >=3 && <=4 there are these packages: base-
   and base- However none of them are available.
   base- was excluded because base- was selected instead

I'm wondering why it thinks the mime package wants base <= 4 when I
just installed with a .cabal file that says base <=