[Haskell-beginners] haskell install on low memory server?

Rob Nikander rob.nikander at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:14:31 CET 2011

Hi,

I'd like to install Haskell on a linux virtual server with about 600
MB of RAM.  (Maybe that is doomed to failure?)  The goal is to try
"happstack" for web apps, behind nginx.  Compiling the whole platform
is asking for OpenGL... so I thought I would get cabal and install
pieces that I want.  I downloaded the 'generic ghc binary' from here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/linux.html and that seems to work.
 But when I download the cabal-install tarball and try to run it's
'bootstrap.sh' I run out of memory.  Is there a way to tell it to use
less memory?

------- shell commands -------

$ cd cabal-install-0.10.2
$ sh bootstrap.sh
Checking installed packages for ghc-7.0.2...
Cabal is already installed and the version is ok.
transformers-0.2.2.0 will be downloaded and installed.
mtl-2.0.1.0 will be downloaded and installed.
parsec-3.1.1 will be downloaded and installed.
network-2.3.0.2 will be downloaded and installed.
time is already installed and the version is ok.
HTTP-4000.1.1 will be downloaded and installed.
zlib-0.5.3.1 will be downloaded and installed.

Downloading transformers-0.2.2.0...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 17148  100 17148    0     0  27246      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 39420
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Setup.hs, Setup.o )
Linking Setup ...
collect2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Compiling the Setup script failed

------- end of shell commands -------

It seems strange that `ld` would need to use ~450 MB, which is what
it's doing to get killed by the kernel.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Rob