[Haskell-beginners] Cabal install woes

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 22:35:47 CET 2011

Hi everyone,
   I'm having Cabal problems. Any help would really be appreciated.

   When I try:

"cabal install soegtk"
or
"cabal install gtk"
or
"cabal install glib"

   I get the error (abridged):
"
Cannot find gtk2hsC2hs
Please install `gtk2hs-buildtools` first and check that the install
directory is in your PATH (e.g. HOME/.cabal/bin).

[...]

gio-0.12.0 depends on glib-0.12.0 which failed to install.
glib-0.12.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1
[...]
"

   But:
gtk2hsC2hs and gtk2hs-buildtools ARE where they're supposed to be
(gtk2hsC2hs is in ~/.cabal/bin, and gtk2hs-buildtools is in
~/.cabal/share).

   A possibly related issue is that when I run "cabal update" it tells
me my Cabal isn't the newest version. I successfully run "cabal
install cabal-install", then do "cabal update" and get the same
message again.

   As a side question, is there a good resource about Cabal in greater
detail than a how-to? I'm looking for, say, what ARE the executables
in .cabal/bin? How do they relate to packages loaded in ghci?

Thanks for your time!
Tom