[Haskell-beginners] Beginners issue with 'Why Haskell matters' example code

Michael Anckaert michael.anckaert at sinax.be
Thu Mar 10 08:46:12 CET 2011

Hey everyone

I'm new on the list here and just started out learning Haskell and
functional programming. I have over 12 years experience programming in
various languages, from C to Python.

I started out with the Why Haskell matters paper (
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Why_Haskell_Matters) and ran into a problem
with the code below. It's discussed in the paper but when I save it to
test.hs and load it into ghci, I get the following output:

------------------------
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( test.hs, interpreted )

test.hs:6:22: parse error on input `='
Failed, modules loaded: none.

Could someone give a pointer on where my error lies?

qsort [] = []
qsort (x:xs) = qsort less ++ [x] ++ qsort more
    where less = filter (<x) xs
        more = filter (>=x) xs

--
Kind regards