[Haskell-beginners] Monads

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 5 05:33:53 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:20:27PM -0500, Patrick Lynch wrote:

> I'd love to take a crack at Category Theory [my mathematics is good]
> but this looks like a formidable task...

It is not that formidable just to get started.  But it is so abstract
that it can be difficult to gain intuition for.  If you want to learn
some category theory I recommend Awodey's book.

> I'll proceed using the Monad classes and instances as is - and hope
> that at some point I'll be able to create my own Monads...

Creating one's own monads is overrated.  I almost never do it.
Usually I can just put something together using monad transformers
that fits my needs.

> btw: can you create a class in Haskell -[I'm guessing the answer to
> this is no -- see below, it doesn't work]?
>
>     class MyCalculator a where
>     myadd::( Num a) => a -> a -> a
>     myAdd x y = x + y

Sure, you can do that.  What do you mean when you say that it doesn't
work?

-Brent