[Haskell-beginners] Global variables

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:57:49 CEST 2011

Although it is generally considered an anti-pattern, it is possible to
implement a true mutable, global counter [1] a la
every-other-imperative-language in Haskell.

As some other people have indicated you're better off with the State
monad, but this style comes in handy when you need to translate
imperative code into Haskell without having to do a complete redesign.

-deech

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6302249/how-to-implement-a-global-counter-using-monad/6349651#6349651