[Haskell-beginners] A first try

David Place d at vidplace.com
Wed Jun 29 14:00:32 CEST 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 4:30 AM, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:

> It is still possible to write programs that return unexpected _|_, but they violate a clear conceptual guideline ("only fully evaluated values may escape the scope of  withFile ").

I wonder. If that is the behavior you desire, why not just call deepseq on the value before you return it to guarantee it.

> Granted, Iteratees make it impossible to write such programs, but they come with the terrible price of code duplication.

I don't really understand this objection, though.  Won't any iteratee library provide all those functions?  The user shouldn't have to write them.  In this way, it is certainly no worse than the duplication brought about by ByteStrings.  Also, isn't that the point of the ListLike class?

David Place
Owner, Panpipes Ho! LLC
http://panpipesho.com
d at vidplace.com