[Haskell-beginners] Why aren't David Harley's QT bindings more popular?

Kyle Murphy orclev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 21:25:14 CEST 2011

The general consensus might be that "no-one wants gui libraries, as
everything can be done on the web", but I think that's idiotic. Aside from
e-mail, there's pretty much no "app" I use online but there are many desktop
applications I use on a day to day basis, most written in C or C++, and a
few written in Java, or Python. Various people have been claiming the death
of the desktop for well over 10 years now, but I don't see it happening
anytime soon. We've seen a lot of strong work going on in web-dev for
Haskell, particularly in things like Yesod and Snap, but Haskell GUI
development seems to be stagnating, and anytime anyone brings it up they get
told "no one does GUI development anymore", which is complete BS or this
issue wouldn't keep coming up. I've seen a few interesting GUI libraries,
but they all seem to have died out for one reason or another, and if
qtHaskell is actually being worked on and supported by someone I'd be very
interested in finding out more about it. It would also be nice if some of
the more interesting theoretical stuff like FRP could actually get a working
example built on top of one of the current generation GUI libraries (I've
looked at FRP a bit, but I don't really understand it, and I haven't found
any FRP libraries that still work).

-R. Kyle Murphy
--
Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.