[Haskell-beginners] A first try

David Place d at vidplace.com
Mon Jun 27 20:34:40 CEST 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Haskell is lazy by default.
> That is certainly much different than what most people are
> used to. So it needs to be explained to beginners. It's the same
> for IO laziness as for pure laziness.

:-)  It's not the difficulty of understanding laziness that I find embarrassing.  My Ph.D Computer Science friends that I have introduced Haskell to understand that very well.  It's their "You've got to be kidding" looks when I tell them they have to call 'length' for effect or some such to get their simple programs to work.  They understand Lazy IO and think that it is broken. :-)
David Place
Owner, Panpipes Ho! LLC
http://panpipesho.com
d at vidplace.com