[Haskell-beginners] A first try

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Mon Jun 27 18:27:03 CEST 2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:35:24 -0400
David Place <d at vidplace.com> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Works fine.
> >
> > I only tried deepseq because my first try with seq
> >
> > let content = xml `seq` parseXMLDoc xml
> >
> > didn't work.
>

> Have you considered using ByteStrings for your application.  There,
> hGetContents is strict.  Also, you will benefit from more efficient
> string operations.

Yes, I thought about it but didn't dig deeper because Text.XML.Light
wants a string as input and I didn't find a conversion. But now I found
toString in  Text.XML.Light.UTF8 so I tried it.

It doesn't make much difference in performance because the xml files
are pretty small. However, using the strict functions makes the code a
bit less esoteric. :-)

--
Thanks,
Manfred