[Haskell-beginners] A first try

David Place d at vidplace.com
Sat Jun 25 15:51:41 CEST 2011

On Jun 25, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:

> Personally, I think that lazy IO is not a weakness and works extremely well for prototyping. In contrast, I find IterateeIO to be ugly and non-idiomatic Haskell, since it exposes implementation details and is not built on an algebraic "combinators & laws" approach. Being challenging to understand is not a substitute for beauty.

Interesting, I appreciate your point of view.   My experience with Lazy IO is that its non-detereminism breaks down the algebraic/equational intuition.  In order to manage handle resources, I must have in mind too many operational details.  I feel that iteratee IO encapsulates these in nice compositional combinators.  I agree that it's not very beautiful, though.  My feeling is that it is not quite finished.  Perhaps there are a couple of more insights that will make it really nice.