[Haskell-beginners] Options for creating a multiple select form via Yesod

David McBride dmcbride at neondsl.com
Mon Jun 13 23:54:51 CEST 2011

The read function is sort of the opposite of the show function.  Take
a string, give me a value.  reads is like read, however it has some
traits that read doesn't have.

The problem with read is that if you go: read "asdf" :: Int, it will
die with an exception, and that is something you don't want in a web
app.  Also it doesn't tell you what the rest of the string is, so you
have no real way of finding out what was left of the string after the
part you wanted to parse.

So there is the reads function that returns [(a,String)] which is a
list of pairs of the answer a, and the rest of the string String.  As
a bonus, it returns a list so if it can't parse the string you pass
it, then it just returns an empty list.  Why didn't it use Maybe you
ask?  I bet it probably has to do with the function being one of the
first functions ever written for haskell, long before Maybe existed.

So all it is there is unpack this bytestring into a string, then parse
it into a value, and please don't blow up if the input is invalid.