[Haskell-beginners] Simple warp-based server

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:11:13 CEST 2011

On 9 June 2011 20:01, Michael Xavier <nemesisdesign at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly ignorant of how FastCGI works and only slightly less ignorant
>> about Warp after reading a paper on it by Michael Snoyman, but concurrent
>> connections is a concern. I haven't been able to test the app with a large
>> dataset but the algorithm is something along the lines of O^2 complexity so
>> some requests may take much longer than others. One of my concerns then is
>> that the server should be able to handle concurrent connections well and not
>> let any long-running requests starve/block the others. If FastCGI forks off
>> one process per connection, that would likely be a lot of overhead for the
>> simple case.

Well, FastCGI is a single process (maybe you're thinking of CGI). For the
FastCGI library you specify how to handle a request, like with forkIO or
forkOS or merely id. Thus one request can sit churning while others are
responding and finishing. Not sure whether Warp is concurrent or
asynchronous. Perhaps someone can fill us in?