[Haskell-beginners] Different ByteStrings, what now?

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:14:21 CEST 2011

On Thursday 02 June 2011 15:46:14, Raphael Päbst wrote:
> Ah thanks, that's it. I know about ByteString and ByteString.Lazy, but
> the error message confused me, since it said it was expecting
> Text.ProtocolBuffers.Header.ByteString of which I had never heard
> before.
>
> Raf

Yes, that's quite understandable.

How GHC prints types in error messages depends (in a non-obvious way,
unfortunately) on the way in which they were imported.
Often that's helpful (Explicitly.Imported.Module.Type vs.
Some.Very.Well.Hidden.Module.Never.Heard.Of.Type), but sometimes it leads
to confusing results (as here).