[Haskell-beginners] a problem with maps

David Place d at vidplace.com
Sun Jul 24 00:34:37 CEST 2011

On Jul 23, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

> Point taken, but to get serious with Haskell you will want to learn
> applicative functors and at least the function arrow anyway.

Interesting thoughts,  Ertugrul.  I would argue that you can get very serious with Haskell without understanding applicative functors and the function arrow.  The very basic aspects of the language (the type system, higher-order functions, lazy evaluation, etc…) are already so powerful, that you really don't need to add complexity to simple programs by including some of the more obscure extensions.  I could see if it made the code substantially more compact.  In this case,  it makes the code more verbose as you need to import the two modules to do something which can be so trivially expressed as an abstraction.

When you write a program, do you think of it as a document only for the compiler to understand, or might some other people need to understand it someday?

David Place
Owner, Panpipes Ho! LLC
http://panpipesho.com
d at vidplace.com