[Haskell-beginners] Typeclasses vs. Data

David Place d at vidplace.com
Thu Jul 21 00:40:45 CEST 2011

On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Thomas wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time.
> Here is a complete fragment that shows the error:

Hi, Thomas.

I'm very sympathetic.  I hate it when I get an error like this.  I looked at your code and the solution didn't jump off the page, maybe it will for someone else.  In the meantime, I suggest this strategy.  Carefully give type signatures to all of your functions.  This way you can help the type checker give better error messages.  The type inference algorithm can go away into crazy land if you give it a nonsense definition.

David Place
Owner, Panpipes Ho! LLC
http://panpipesho.com
d at vidplace.com