[Haskell-beginners] gtk2hs [GIMP ToolKit]

Tim Baumgartner baumgartner.tim at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:59:03 CET 2011

Hi Patrick,

2011/2/5 Patrick Lynch <kmandpjlynch at verizon.net>

> This is what I did so far:
>   1. I followed your wiki
>   2. I opened Command window and entered the command: cabal install gtk
>   3. It returned the error messages:
>
>           * Missing C libraries: z, cairo
>           * Missing C libraries: gobject-2.0, glib-2.0, intl
>   4. I then ran the command: cabal install gtk
> --extra-include-dirs="c:/Program Files/Gtk+/include"
> --extra-lib-dirs="c:/Program Files/Gtk+/include"
>       This returned the same error messages as indicated in step 3 above.

Step 1 should already include step 2, so I better ask if
gtk2hs-buildtoolsinstalled successfully?

If the compiler misses some libraries, it will never help to add more
include folders, because they only contain header files, not lib files. For
missing include files, you get a different error message. For libraries, you
have to set up the LIB environment variable properly. It must include the
lib folder with Gtk+. Could you show us the result of

echo %LIB%

at the prompt? The ouput of

pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

might indicate an error as well. By the way, the environment variables at
the command prompt should the sum of those made globally and those made for
the current user.

Good luck
Tim