[Haskell-beginners] How to use the yaml package?

Xavier Shay xavier-list at rhnh.net
Wed Feb 2 21:23:36 CET 2011

Hello,

I want to use YAML in my app

I have run:
cabal install yaml

I have added it to my build-depends line in my .cabal file:
Build-Depends:       base,time,yaml

$ runhaskell Setup.lhs configure
Configuring xtdo-0.1...
Setup.lhs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
yaml -any

Oh no! I tried just importing Text.Libyaml in both my app and GHCi but
neither error gave any clues. I also found references to HsSyck,
data-object-yaml and YAML::Tiny libraries, but not sure what I should be
using.

Right now I'm feeling totally lost, not being able to find examples of
code using yaml, nor documentation for how I would use the libraries to
play around with it. Also not comfortable I understand the interaction
between cabal, runhaskell, ghc, and my build file.

Any pointers?
References to documentation I should have read also appreciated.

Cheers,
Xavier

(I don't know how relevant it is, but here is my minimal project I am
trying to add it to: https://github.com/xaviershay/xtdo-hs)