[Haskell-beginners] llvm haskell bindings

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:21:03 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Philippe Sismondi <psismondi at arqux.com> wrote:
> I am running OS X 10.6.8 with Xcode 4. I have the Haskell Platform installed, ghc v. 7.0.3.
>
> I cannot get the llvm haskell bindings to install correctly using cabal. I get this at the tail end of messages from cabal:
>
> checking llvm-c/Core.h usability... yes
> checking llvm-c/Core.h presence... yes
> checking for llvm-c/Core.h... yes
> checking llvm/Support/DynamicLibrary.h usability... yes
> checking llvm/Support/DynamicLibrary.h presence... yes
> checking for llvm/Support/DynamicLibrary.h... yes
> checking for LLVMModuleCreateWithName in -lLLVMCore... no
> checking for LLVMModuleCreateWithName in -lLLVMCore... no

Here, configure has found LLVM C library, but the found library does
not have the functionality required.

> configure: error: could not find LLVM C bindings

So here configure reports that it cannot find LLVM C library.

> llvm-0.10.0.1 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>

> Has anyone had any luck getting this set up? Googling leads me to some rather terse comments that the Apple llvm installation does not include the required llvm libraries. I hate to install a separate set of llvm stuff with macports, or the llvm repository, because I fear that I might run into all kinds of puzzling conflicts with the Apple stuff.

It looks like your guess is correct - the LLVM C library you have
installed isn't what the Haskell bindings want.

> Ideas?

This might be where someone else jumps in - I've had luck with
MacPorts + Haskell in the past, but it can be a struggle. I've never
tried this particular case.

In particular the iconv situation is nightmarish (Apple iconv and
MacPorts iconv are not ABI compatible), but that's really a special
case of the more general problem of building things against MacPorts.

Antoine