[Haskell-beginners] emacs setup for haskell

Adrien Haxaire adrien at haxaire.org
Fri Dec 2 09:33:20 CET 2011

 On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:53:55 +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> I am using haskell inside emacs with the usual setup ie .hs file in
> one window, ghci in another.
>
> Now the most usual workflow one would do is to load the file into
> ghci
> (C-c C-l) and try out something in ghci.
> A small niggle is that after the C-c C-l Ive to manually switch to
> the
> other window (current window does not switch to ghci automatically)
>  This seems to be a strange default

 Actually I prefer it this way because I can check often if my types are
 OK, or that I don't have a typo.
 You can also rebind C-c C-l to execute C-x o after it.

> More importantly the state of the workspace in ghci seems to get
> messed up unless I do:
> 0. Prepare some code in .hs
> 2. Switch to ghci
> 3. Clear the ghci workspace with :m
>  4. switch back to .hs
> 5. C-c C-l
> 6. Switch to ghci to try out new code
>
> Is there something I am missing?

 When I do C-c C-l it recompiles and/or reloads all my modules and wipes
 all the variables I had defined before, so I think steps 0 to 4 are not
 needed.

 Adrien

 PS: I assumed that you were using haskell-mode