[Haskell-beginners] why is the :type different in ghci?

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:49:17 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Ovidiu Deac <ovidiudeac at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I kind of understand what you mean but I don't understand why would
> anybody want this functionality.

The concerns is that if you write:

> x = <long complex computation>

and then the compiler generalizes the type to be polymorphic, what you
were expecting to only be computed once is instead computed repeatedly
- we can't save off the value to the top level at runtime if the value
at the top level doesn't have a fixed type!

This is why if you write a polymorphic type signature:

> x :: Num a => a
> x = <long complex computation>

the compiler assumes that know what you're doing.

Antoine