[Haskell-beginners] Further constraining types

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 06:29:15 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 02:51, Christopher Howard <
christopher.howard at frigidcode.com> wrote:

> On 08/03/2011 09:23 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> The concept is called "dependent types", where a type can depend on a
>> value.  Haskell doesn't support them natively, although there are some
>> hacks for limited cases.
>>
> This seems like a really significant issue for a functional programming
> language. Am I eventually going to have to switch to Agda? My friends are
> trying to convert me...

Agda is a wonderful FP platform, but I'm not convinced Agda is at all ready
to be an *applications* platform.  So if theory is your thing, go straight
to Agda; if you want to use FP for real world problems, Haskell is (at least
for now) a better choice.  (Or OCaml, but you then lose the advantages of
purity on top of not having dependent types.)