[Haskell-beginners] A question on types

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 1 18:17:44 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM, C K Kashyap <ckkashyap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> To clarify my understanding, I created this table
>
> |         | weak | strong  |
> |---------+------+---------|
> | dynamic | perl | Ruby    |
> | static  | C    | Haskell |
> |---------+------+---------|
>
> Could someone please ratify this?

Static vs. dynamic typing is pretty well always understood to mean compile
time vs. run time  type checking, so you've got that one.

On the other hand, there's no widely accepted definition of strong vs. weak
typing. So I'm pretty sure there's at least one definition for which you're
right. Both C and Ruby fit definitions for both strong and weak typing, and
there are probably definitions that have them swap places. Perl and Haskell
may always be considered weakly and strongly typed (respectively), but I
wouldn't bet on it.

    <mike