[Haskell-beginners] Tuples .vs Either Vs datatypes

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Wed Apr 6 11:24:45 CEST 2011

Am 05.04.2011 19:41, schrieb Mike Meyer:
[...]
> data CharClass = Fail | Pattern String
> matchCharClass :: Pattern ->  Char ->  CharClass

As mentioned by Alex Rozenshteyn this CharClass is isomorphic to "Maybe
String".

> This only required minor changes to the code, but made it easy to add
> "Error String" to the CharClass datatype later. That version can be

Replacing Fail (or Nothing) by "Error String" is like going to "Either
String String".

Yet, user-defined data types (no type synonyms!) may increase
readability (and type safety). However, one disadvantage is that some
type class instances have to be redefined (or derived) if needed.

"Maybe" and "Either String" are fairly standard (and have Monad and what
not instances), still your data type CharClass is perfect (if it serves
the purpose).

HTH Christian