[Haskell-beginners] Dependence issue

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki gtener at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 01:08:53 CEST 2011

Changing the dependency isn't enough. You also want to bump the version
number (say, A.B.C.D into A.B.C.D.1) and make your project depend on the
bumped version. This way cabal wont find that version anywhere but in
installed database and will continue just fine.

If the library works fine under base-4 you might also contact the developer
so that he can upload the new version which will allow you to drop that hack
altogether.

Working with such locally-changed versions can be easier if you try
cabal-devel tool or similar.

But I think might consider another solution: don't use that library. As HDBC
docs<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/HDBC/2.2.6.1/doc/html/Database-HDBC.html>says:

 ODBC Available from http://software.complete.org/hdbc-odbc. Or, to
partitipace in development, use git clone git://git.complete.org/hdbc-odbc
MySQL MySQL users have two choices: the first is the ODBC driver, which
works and has been tested against MySQL on both Linux/Unix and Windows
platforms. There is also an *alpha-quality* native MySQL driver available
for download at
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/HDBC-mysql with a
homepage at http://www.maubi.net/~waterson/hacks/hdbc-mysql.html.

So clearly, HDBC developer(s?) think that HDBC-odbc is the way.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Skrzętnicki