[Haskell-beginners] The Data Parallel Haskell example from the Haskell Wiki won't work

João Paulo Pizani Flor joaopizani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:06:16 EDT 2010

Hello dear Haskell People! I'm currently very interested in doing some
parallel programming in Haskell, specially in using the Data Parallel
Haskell stuff...

So as a first step I tried to emulate the vector multiply example found in
the Haskell Wiki:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Data_Parallel_Haskell#A_simple_example

The code I've written (two files) for this example is in the following
pastebins:

DPHVecMul.hs:  http://paste.org/pastebin/view/22899
Main.hs:  http://paste.org/pastebin/view/22900

I've compiled successfully both files and linked them, exactly as described
in the Wiki. But when I run the resulting executable, the following error
shows up:

"dotp: Prelude.undefined"

It's seems (from the tests I've done) that the call to the function
*fromPArrayP
*of the module *Data.Parallel.Array.Prelude *results always in undefined. In
fact, I've taken a look at the function definition in the docs, and in fact
it always returns undefined. It doesn't make ANY SENSE to me :P

Has someone been able to successfully compile and run this example code?? If
so, what am I doing wrong? Is there some obvious error I'm incurring in? :D

Regards,

João Paulo Pizani Flor
joaopizani at gmail.com
Computer Science - 2007/1
Federal University of Santa Catarina - Brazil