[Haskell-beginners] Haskell for POS (business) apps

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi glpunzi at lordzealon.com
Mon Sep 13 05:43:29 EDT 2010

Hi David,

On Lunes 13 Septiembre 2010 10:54:15 usted escribió:
> 2010/9/12  <glpunzi at lordzealon.com>:
> > For the moment, We are developing a POS system. The first prototype is
> > beeing developed under Windev(1), but, I would like to move to opensource
>
> I have developped a POS system under Windev. Developping in Haskell
> for this project was unfortunately not an option for me; however maybe

Why wasn't an option? What problems did you found?

> I can help you with a few answers :
>
> - There are libraries for database access, for example HDBC or Takusen.
>   I have used HDBC-mysql with no problems so far
>
> - We accessed a serial display, a ticket printer and a cash drawer using
>   OPOS drivers which are unfortunately a Windows only thing. I don't think
>   there's an OPOS binding for Haskell, so you're left with two options:
>   * develop such a binding yourself,
>   * find a way to access the devices directly.
>
> - There's no problem to code web services in Haskell.
>   There's many networking libraries, web frameworks, etc.

I will take a look...

> - Windev has many shortcomings especially compared to Haskell, but one
>   thing it's good at, is quickly doing user interfaces. In Haskell, the
>   UI will IMHO require more work in Haskell. That being said, I've
>   never designed large UIs in Haskell, so maybe with experience it

Well, I like a lot Windev, Is very fast to get something usable and prototype,
but:
1.- It forces me to develop from Windows.
2.- Is not fully cross-platform
3.- Bugfixes and improvements comes with new licenses (more money)

I need develop and deploy from/to Windows-Linux-Mac, and if possible, Android-
Windows Mobile..