[Haskell-beginners] Convert String to List/Array of Numbers

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 14:13:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Tim Perry <perry2of5 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The original is in what is called "point free" form. Values are called "points"
> so you have left out the value making the function "point free".  I think this
> is one of the most annoying "features" of Haskell because you can't glance at a
> function and know how many parameters it takes unless you also know how many
> parameters each of the functions it uses need. But that aside, it is very
> common. Real World Haskell covers it in Chapter 5.
> http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/writing-a-library-working-with-json-data.html

Given that the notion of argument number isn't quite right in Haskell
and that you should put a type signature on all exported functions
which provides more exact information on the function behaviour
anyway... I would say that point-free is worth it for the clarity it
affords to the accustomed Haskeller (all but the most twisted
functions written in point-free style will only take "one" argument
anyway).

--
Jedaï