[Haskell-beginners] Trouble in installing Packages

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 10:05:27 EDT 2010

Dear All,
I am quite new to Haskell and have only very recently found out about cabal.
I am interested in some haskell packages for scientific applications,
but I am experiencing some problems in installing them on my machine
(ubuntu 10.04, amd64 architecture).
For instance, I pasted below the output of my attempts to install
hmatrix-static.
Any idea about how to fix this?
Cheers

Lorenzo

$ cabal install hmatrix-static
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring array-0.2.0.0...
Preprocessing library array-0.2.0.0...
Building array-0.2.0.0...
[ 1 of 10] Compiling Data.Array       ( Data/Array.hs,
dist/build/Data/Array.o )

Data/Array.hs:1:0:
     Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.

Data/Array/IO.hs:1:15:
     Warning: -#include is deprecated: No longer has any effect

Data/Array/IO/Internals.hs:1:15:
     Warning: -#include is deprecated: No longer has any effect
[ 2 of 10] Compiling Data.Array.Base  ( Data/Array/Base.hs,
dist/build/Data/Array/Base.o )

Data/Array/Base.hs:1:0:
     Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.

Data/Array/Base.hs:1177:8:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { W# e# = if initialValue then maxBound else 0 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `newArray':
         newArray (l, u) initialValue
                    = ST $ \ s1# -> case safeRangeSize (l, u) of {
(n@(I# n#)) -> ... }
                    where
                        W# e# = if initialValue then maxBound else 0
     In the instance declaration for `MArray (STUArray s) Bool (ST s)'

Data/Array/Base.hs:1489:8:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { I# last# = 8 * 8 - 1 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `bOOL_SCALE':
         bOOL_SCALE n#
                      = (n# +# last#) `uncheckedIShiftRA#` 3#
                      where
                          I# last# = 8 * 8 - 1

Data/Array/Base.hs:1491:8:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { I# last# = 8 * 8 - 1 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `bOOL_WORD_SCALE':
         bOOL_WORD_SCALE n#
                           = bOOL_INDEX (n# +# last#)
                           where
                               I# last# = 8 * 8 - 1

Data/Array/Base.hs:1492:37:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { I# scale# = 8 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `wORD_SCALE':
         wORD_SCALE n#
                      = scale# *# n#
                      where
                          I# scale# = 8

Data/Array/Base.hs:1493:37:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { I# scale# = 8 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `dOUBLE_SCALE':
         dOUBLE_SCALE n#
                        = scale# *# n#
                        where
                            I# scale# = 8

Data/Array/Base.hs:1494:37:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { I# scale# = 4 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `fLOAT_SCALE':
         fLOAT_SCALE n#
                       = scale# *# n#
                       where
                           I# scale# = 4

Data/Array/Base.hs:1505:8:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { W# mask# = 8 * 8 - 1 }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `bOOL_BIT':
         bOOL_BIT n#
                    = int2Word# 1#
                    `uncheckedShiftL#`
                      (word2Int# (int2Word# n# `and#` mask#))
                    where
                        W# mask# = 8 * 8 - 1

Data/Array/Base.hs:1506:47:
     Warning: Bindings containing unlifted types must use an outermost
bang pattern:
                  { W# mb# = maxBound }
              *** This will be an error in GHC 6.14! Fix your code now!
     In the definition of `bOOL_NOT_BIT':
         bOOL_NOT_BIT n#
                        = bOOL_BIT n# `xor#` mb#
                        where
                            W# mb# = maxBound
[ 3 of 10] Compiling Data.Array.IArray ( Data/Array/IArray.hs,
dist/build/Data/Array/IArray.o )

Data/Array/IArray.hs:1:0:
     Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.
[ 4 of 10] Compiling Data.Array.MArray ( Data/Array/MArray.hs,
dist/build/Data/Array/MArray.o )

Data/Array/MArray.hs:1:0:
     Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.
[ 5 of 10] Compiling Data.Array.IO.Internals (
Data/Array/IO/Internals.hs, dist/build/Data/Array/IO/Internals.o )

Data/Array/IO/Internals.hs:1:0:
     Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.
[ 6 of 10] Compiling Data.Array.IO    ( Data/Array/IO.hs,
dist/build/Data/Array/IO.o )

Data/Array/IO.hs:73:13:
     `haFD' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:73:22:
     `haBuffer' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:73:36:
     `haIsStream' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:74:5: Not in scope: data constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:74:13:
     `bufBuf' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:74:25:
     `bufWPtr' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:74:36:
     `bufRPtr' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:75:4: Not in scope: `bufferEmpty'

Data/Array/IO.hs:82:24:
     `bufWPtr' is not a (visible) constructor field name

Data/Array/IO.hs:82:35:
     `bufRPtr' is not a (visible) constructor field name

Data/Array/IO.hs:86:24:
     `bufRPtr' is not a (visible) constructor field name

Data/Array/IO.hs:95:27:
     Not in scope: type constructor or class `RawBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:101:10: Not in scope: `readRawBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:125:22:
     `haFD' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:125:31:
     `haBuffer' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:125:45:
     `haIsStream' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Handle__'

Data/Array/IO.hs:127:18: Not in scope: data constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:127:26:
     `bufBuf' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:127:42:
     `bufWPtr' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:127:53:
     `bufSize' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:135:30:
     `bufWPtr' is not a (visible) constructor field name

Data/Array/IO.hs:142:7: Not in scope: data constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:142:15:
     `bufBuf' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:142:27:
     `bufState' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:142:36:
     Not in scope: data constructor `WriteBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:143:8:
     `bufRPtr' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:143:19:
     `bufWPtr' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:143:34:
     `bufSize' is not a (visible) field of constructor `Buffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:151:22:
     Not in scope: type constructor or class `RawBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:151:43:
     Not in scope: type constructor or class `RawBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:153:22:
     Not in scope: type constructor or class `RawBuffer'

Data/Array/IO.hs:153:35:
     Not in scope: type constructor or class `RawBuffer'
array-0.2.0.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
containers-0.3.0.0 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
cpphs-1.11 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
haskell-src-exts-1.2.0 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
haskell-src-meta-0.0.6 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
haskell98-1.0.1.1 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
hmatrix-0.7.2.1 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
hmatrix-static-0.3 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
packedstring-0.1.0.1 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
template-haskell-2.4.0.0 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.
tfp-0.2 depends on array-0.2.0.0 which failed to install.