[Haskell-beginners] question on typeclasses and applicatives

Alec Benzer alecbenzer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:10:29 EDT 2010

Ah, ok, so the reason what I trying didn't work is because I used an
actual type instead of a type variable? I got confused because of the
emphasis you put on * distinct *.

And so, if I want to make Maps applicative functors without dealing
with FlexibleInstances, I'd have to do something like this?

import Control.Applicative
import qualified Data.Map as M
import Data.Monoid

instance (Monoid k, Ord k) => Applicative (M.Map k) where
  pure x = M.fromList [(mempty,x)]
  fs <*> xs = M.fromList [(k1 `mappend` k2,v1 v2) | (k1,v1) <-
M.assocs fs, (k2,v2) <- M.assocs xs]

(sacrificing some functionality, since spaces won't get intercalated
between keys if i use strings)