[Haskell-beginners] Convert bits to bytes

Alec Benzer alecbenzer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 13:29:23 EDT 2010

Thanks - I thought there would be some api for it but I see it's pretty
simple to do on your own.

I came up with this (dealing with non-multiple of 8 numbers of bits)

bitsToBytes :: [Bool] -> [Word8]
bitsToBytes [] = []
bitsToBytes bits = map bitsToByte (getChunks bits)
  where bitsToByte = foldl' (\byte bit -> byte*2 + if bit then 1 else 0) 0

getChunks :: [Bool] -> [[Bool]]
getChunks [] = []
getChunks xs
  | length xs < 8 = getChunks $ take 8 (xs ++ repeat False)
  | otherwise =
    let (these,rest) = splitAt 8 xs
    in these:getChunks rest

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:18 AM, David Virebayre
<dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com<dav.vire%2Bhaskell at gmail.com>