[Haskell-beginners] error when unregistering a package

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 15:43:20 EDT 2010

I always have trouble with conflicting packages when I do a fresh install of
the Haskell Platform on an Ubuntu machine. Last time, I unregistered lots of
packages, and let the necessary ones get recompiled. That fixed things.
However, this time I'm having trouble with the unregister step. For many
packages I get an error about a file not existing, e.g.

$ sudo ghc-pkg unregister QuickCheck
ghc-pkg:
/var/lib/ghc-6.12.1/package.conf.d/QuickCheck-2.1.0.3-d4ae7d01dc2504e1785e18cd555e91ed.conf:
removeLink: does not exist (No such file or directory)

However, for many other packages, it works fine. Anyone know how to
unregister a package when you get this error?