[Haskell-beginners] Re: Showing control characters

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:44:42 EST 2010

I wasn't at a computer with Haskell when I wrote the earlier message.
 Here's how it seems to work.

File:

*data *MyType = MyType

*instance *Show MyType *where*
    show MyType = "a\nb"

Load the above file. Then:

> MyType        -- This does what I want it to do after all.

> show MyType
"a\nb"

> putStrLn (show MyType)

> print MyType

*-- Russ Abbott
*  Professor, Computer Science

  Google voice: 424-235-5752 (424-cell-rja)
  blog: http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
  vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/