[Haskell-beginners] Haskell described as a "rigid" language

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Mon May 17 21:24:50 EDT 2010

To put it another way...

If you try to use an object-oriented approach in Haskell, you're going to
find the experience a little frustrating, and you'll feel the language is
rigid.
If you try to use a functional approach in Java, C++, etc., you're going to
find the experience a little frustrating, and you'll feel the language is
rigid.

A few weeks ago I did a bit of PHP programming for a client, and discovered
that PHP won't warn you if you use a variable without declaring it. Now
that's what I call flexible! But instead of rejoicing in that flexibility, I
was annoyed.