[Haskell-beginners] lazy IO in readFile

Stephen Blackheath [to Haskell-Beginners] mutilating.cauliflowers.stephen at blacksapphire.com
Fri May 7 23:41:43 EDT 2010

Andrew,

In Haskell, lazy I/O is a form of cheating, because Haskell functions
are supposed to have no side effects, and lazy I/O is a side effect.  At
first, cheating seems attractive, but it takes a bit of experience to
really understand why cheating really is not a good idea, and that
Haskell is so powerful that it doesn't matter that you shouldn't cheat.
 That has certainly been my experience, and I had to find out the hard
way.  It sounds like you're starting to see some of the problems with
cheating.

Here's someone's philosophizing on the subject:

http://lukepalmer.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/it-is-never-safe-to-cheat/

So the short answer is, no - there is no way to force the file returned
by readFile to close.

I'd recommend using withFile and hGetLine, like this:

withFile "testfile" ReadMode $ \h -> do
    l <- hGetLine h

If you want more speed, take a look at the stuff in Data.ByteString.  If
you want proper text encoding and speed, take a look at the 'text'
package.

Steve