[Haskell-beginners] Can't install haskell-platform on OpenSuse 10.3 without Glut

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Fri May 7 08:38:43 EDT 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010 12:39:59, David Virebayre wrote:
> "The main implementation of haskell", namely GHC, can be downloaded
> and installed independently, it comes with a minimal set of libraries.
> You can work from there to install only the libraries that you need,
> for that you'll need to download the packages from hackage and install
> them yourself, or start by either getting cabal-install if suze
> provides it, or compiling it.  That's not so hard actually, I've done
> it quite often ( though on Kubuntu and Centos, not on Suze )

I don't know whether there's an openSUSE package for cabal-install, but
once ghc is installed, it's no problem to get that.
1. check which version of the Cabal library you have
(ghc-pkg list | grep Cabal), should be 1.6.* for ghc-6.10.*, 1.8.* for
ghc-6.12.*
2. go to http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install and find the
appropriate version of cabal-install for your Cabal library (0.8.2 for
Cabal-1.8, 0.6.4 for Cabal-1.6)
3. download the .tar.gz
4. unpack it
5. cd /path/to/cabal-install[-0.x.y]
6. chmod +x bootstrap.sh
7. ./bootstrap.sh
8. add ~/.cabal/bin to your PATH
9. cabal update
10. open ~/.cabal/config and choose your default preferences
(library-profiling: True
documentation: True
are two things you'll probably want)
11. start hacking