[Haskell-beginners] Can't install haskell-platform on OpenSuse 10.3 without Glut

David Carter david.m.carter at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:55:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am trying to install haskell-platform on OpenSuse 10.3, i586. I
installed ghc 6.12.1 OK, then unpacked
haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0.tar.gz, but "configure" gives me

configure: error: The GLUT C library is required

I have no particular interest in graphics programming and don't want to
get involved in installing glut or freeglut as that is likely to cause
more installation problems for all I know.

I discovered this message and its reply suggesting looking in the bug tracker,

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-December/070813.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-December/070814.html

but http://trac.haskell.org is down (I don't remember ever finding it
up, in fact).

Can anyone suggest a workaround? It's a bit of a showstopper if the main
implementation of Haskell can't be installed without having non-free
software :-(.

Thanks

David