[Haskell-beginners] What should I use (the equivalent of Windows schtasks) to schedule a task to run?

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 30 18:38:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:29:42PM -0500, Hong Yang wrote:
> I searched "schedul" on hayoo!, but had no clue. It seems that I can use
> scheduleEventAt from Control.Monad.Event.Classes. But what is type "e"? It
> seems like an event. How do I define an event?

I don't think that's what you want; Control.Monad.Event appears to be
for doing event-driven simulations, not for scheduling actual tasks on
your OS.  I am not sure how to do this but presumably there would have
to be a library with bindings to the OS's underlying calls.

> I have not learned Monad yet. Can some one give me a simple example? Suppose
> I want to run an external program "pg" which in Haskell's language has the
> type of String -> IO ().

Can you be more specific?  A "simple example of monads" is rather
vague; monads are used for quite a lot of things.  Have you read any
particular books or tutorials?

-Brent