[Haskell-beginners] about installation of Haskell

Dave Bayer bayer at cpw.math.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:34:40 EDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 8:23 AM, Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> Let's first find out what platform our original poster is on
> so we'll know what the options are, and what their likely
> consequences will be. And if the original poster
> has a strong preference for manual compilation as you do -
> we'll hear about that, too.

Yes, but this isn't a chat room, and archives of this conversation don't auto-delete in a week. Anything one says to the original poster, one is also saying to fifty lurkers and various people googling us years from now. I'm often on the other end of this, trying to resolve a problem by googling an old exchange.

I had to counter the blanket advice that building from scratch is discouraged. That's not an official policy, nor is it necessarily good advice. On a random flavor of Linux, if one is lucky the "package" version of GHC will be sufficiently up-to-date to build a clean version from scratch. I wouldn't use it after that.