[Haskell-beginners] how long it will take to install Haskell

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Mar 18 11:15:07 EDT 2010

Excerpts from love_pku's message of Thu Mar 18 05:46:41 +0100 2010:
> Dear Sir or Madam:
> I met problems when install haskell. Following are the interface after
> do the command 'make',and it stay at the state 'Linking Setup'for a
> long time. So I am wondering how long it will take to finish 'linking
> setup'.

Depends on your computer :)

Seriously it shouldn't take that long.

Try watching your CPU usage (eg using top) and see whether ghc or a
linker is still working.

A bug report or help request should contain enough information so that
other know what you've been trying to do. You say 'installing haskell'.
There is no such "haskell". There are 4 or more Haskell compilers this
could refer to. So try providing more context such as:

  My CPU is (If you use a 16Mhz embedded machine it's obvious why its taking that
  long..):
    # cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model\ name
    model name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz
    model name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz

  My operating system is xx-Linux.

  I'm trying to install glasgow Haskell from sources (give version,
  please)

  I'm trying to bootstrap ghc using ghc compiler: ...

  Then it seems to stop at this line:
  ghc --make ...

  and nothing happens. Have I hit a bug or such?

Try to provide more context and people will try to help you.

Also note that there are two chatrooms: #haskell and #ghc on
irc.freenode.org. People may help you faster there and figure out what
exactly is wrong with your setup.

Depending on the additional information about operating system maybe
this thread should be moved to a more appropriate mailinglist.

Also try to find that directory it was trying to run Setup in and run
that ghc command manually (ghc has some verbose options you can apply)

Marc Weber