[Haskell-beginners] about installation of Haskell

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Mar 16 23:39:03 EDT 2010

Am Mittwoch 17 März 2010 03:03:30 schrieb love_pku:
> Dear Sir or Madam::
>   Sorry to trouble you!
>   I am a beginner of Haskell and I just run into problems to install it.
> So I hope if you can tell me which version of Haskell should I   use for
> Ubuntu 8.04 operating system..

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, but

apt-get install libghc6*

or something like that should get you started (perhaps apt-search haskell
first - or was it apt-get search?).
Once you have GHC installed, you can start.

You'll probably want cabal-install to easily get and build Haskell
libraries, so go to
and download a tarball. Depending on the GHC version apt-get gives you,
you'd want different versions of cabal-install.
6.12.1 -> 0.8.0,
6.10.* -> 0.6.*,
I think. (If it's 6.8.*, maybe you want to get a newer GHC from
Run 'ghc-pkg list' to find out which version of the Cabal (uppercase C)
library came with your GHC, and search the cabal-install packages for
corresponding constraints on Cabal.
Download that version, unpack it. In the unpacked directory, run
bootstrap.sh and you should have everything you need to start happy Haskell
hacking :D