[Haskell-beginners] Re: error with cabal install readline

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Mar 11 04:49:49 EST 2010

Ashish Agarwal wrote:
> I'm on a Mac, and trying to install readline through cabal. I installed the
> readline library through macports and thus tried the command below. However,
> readline is still not found. Are there other options I can try? Thank you.
>
> $ cabal install readline --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include/
> --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib/
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring readline-1.0.1.0...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for GNUreadline.framework... checking for readline... no
> checking for tputs in -lncurses... yes
> checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
> checking for rl_readline_version... yes
> checking for rl_begin_undo_group... no
> configure: error: readline not found, so this package cannot be built
> See `config.log' for more details.
> readline-1.0.1.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 1

It's the  configure  shell script that doesn't see the extra
directories. Setting the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment variables
should do the trick. Personally, I'm using the following shell script

    > cat cabal-macports
    #!/bin/bash
    # Run commands with /opt/local/ directories
    export CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
    export LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
    cabal $@ --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include \
             --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib

    > cabal-macports install readline

(Make sure you installed the MacPorts readline with  +universal .)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com