[Haskell-beginners] Re: suggested course of action

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 03:57:12 EDT 2010

prad <prad at towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> greetings!
>
> i am very intrigued with haskell having acquired some experience in
> pascal, elisp, c, perl, mostly python and some sql.
>
> i've been going through various tutorials and the online real world
> haskell. i've also been reading through the haskell98 report at
> appropriate points.
>
> are there any recommended approaches for learning and studying haskell?

In addition to _Real World Haskell,_ have you checked out _Programming
in Haskell_ (see http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html), by Graham
Hutton?  Duncan Coutts has written a detailed review of the title (see
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book-review.pdf).

In addition, the #haskell channel (see
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel) (with an average of 655
users) is available on the Freenode IRC network.

One idea is to find an interesting but workable topic, and try coding it
in Haskell.  With the help of some other Haskellers on the Haskell-Cafe
mailing list, I once coded a simple Haskell program to associate names
of wines to choices of menu items.  Along these lines, you may be
interested in investigating the following programming exercise sites:

  Project Euler
  A series of mathematical/computer programming problems
  http://projecteuler.net/

  Rosetta Code
  A programming chrestomathy site
  http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Main_Page

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^