[Haskell-beginners] Re: Where does a real beginner begin? Scheme+SICP? Real World Haskell?

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 03:26:10 EDT 2010

Amiruddin Nagri <amir.nagri at gmail.com> writes:

> If you purpose is only learning Haskell, then you can pick up either
> of Real World Haskell or Programming in Haskell (there are also video
> lectures available covering this book).
>
> But SICP is something that as a programmer you have to go over once in
> a lifetime.

Another book that you may be interested in reading after either of the
introductory Haskell books mentioned above is _The Haskell School of
Expression_ ("SOE") (see http://www.haskell.org/soe/), by Paul Hudak.
The book does assume some understanding of trigonometry, but can be very
interesting to read.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

> Regards,
> Amiruddin Nagri,
> Bangalore, 560008, KA
> India
>
> Y! IM : amir_nagri at yahoo.com
> GTalk : amir.nagri at gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Greg Morell <gm at sixflagsmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not much of a programmer.  I've only used PHP and Ruby for the last 10 years.  But I've heard so many wonderful things about Haskell, I'd like to really spend the time to learn it.
>>
>> No particular purpose, except to broaden my mind and get to know (what I hear is) a completely different way of thinking about programming.
>>
>> But what's the best way to start from scratch?
>>
>> Should I start with "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book and Scheme as my intro?  Then afterwards, get into the Real World Haskell book?
>>
>> Or just start with Haskell directly?
>>
>> Any advice appreciated.

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^