[Haskell-beginners] Where does a real beginner begin? Scheme+SICP? Real World Haskell?

Patrick LeBoutillier patrick.leboutillier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:17:31 EDT 2010

Hi Greg,

When I first wanted to learn Haskell (about 18 months ago) I just went
out and bought "Real World Haskell". I didn't have any functional
programming background. I read the first 13 chapters or so, did the
exercises, and all was pretty good.

Then when I got to chapter 13 (Monads) it started to get more
difficult for me. I kept with it though, asked questions on this list
(people are EXTREMELY nice and helpful here), and things got better.

Coming from an imperative background (C++, Perl, Java), I found (and
still do find) Haskell hard. But it's really worth it in the end. It
will open up a whole new way of thinking for you.

Good luck,

Patrick