[Haskell-beginners] Re: problem with System.Directory.Tree

Anand Mitra mitra at kqinfotech.com
Sun Jun 13 22:12:01 EDT 2010

Hi Again,

Thanks to the help from this group I have got past my first problem and now
stuck on another. I have succeeded in building a DirTree using library
"System.Directory.Tree" with properties of md5sum and modification time. I
have also built  the parts that can compare two such trees and find the
files that have changed.

I was trying to serializing the tree so that it can be saved for later
identification of changed files. The module "Tree" incidentally derives Show
but not Read and hence I cannot read the file serialized file. Searching a
bit I decided to use the infrastructure in "Data.Binary" to do the job for
me.

As soon as I started this I realized that I would have to modify Tree.hs
module. This was required because DirTree does not derive from Typeable and
Data which is required for it to be serialized via "Data.Binary". After
patching the Binary module to derive from Typeable and Data I get the
following error.

System/Directory/Tree.hs:95:47:
    No instance for (Data Exception)
      arising from the 'deriving' clause of a data type declaration
                   at System/Directory/Tree.hs:95:47-50
    Possible fix:
      add an instance declaration for (Data Exception)
      or use a standalone 'deriving instance' declaration instead,
         so you can specify the instance context yourself
    When deriving the instance for (Data (DirTree a))
Failed, modules loaded: BinaryDerive.

Secondly I suspect that I could have derived it without having to modify the
original module source. The compilation error does give a hint about
"standalone deriving instance" but trying stuff at
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/users_guide/deriving.html did
not help me much.

In short what is the simplest way I can serialize "System.Directory.Tree"
using Binary. Is there a better alternative to Binary for serialization ?
Are there solutions to the problem I have outlined above ? or is my approach
incorrect. Is it possible to add the deriving of datatype DirTree without
modifying the module ?

regards
--
Anand Mitra