[Haskell-beginners] Re: WinGHCi

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 18:11:14 EDT 2010

Michael Mossey <mpm at alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> What is special about WinGHCi? Does it add anything to ghci or  is it
> just a GUI interface to ghci commands? I have RSI and avoid the mouse,
> so I would rather use ghci unless WinGHCi adds something special.

AFAIK, WinGHCi is just a GUI for GHCi on Windows.

Basically, WinGHCi:GHCi::WinHugs:Hugs.

Some additional features listed under "WinGhciFeatures - winghci -
Project Hosting on Google Code" (see
http://code.google.com/p/winghci/wiki/WinGhciFeatures) are the
following:

> One extension with respect to GHCI options is that you can use the &
> character as a prefix when setting your editor, so that when you invoke
> the :edit command, GHCI will not block until you close your editor.

> You
> can also set additional command line parameters to GHCI through the GHCI
> Startup entry. Note that this will restart the interpreter. Please, do
> no use "ghci.exe" in your startup command but use "ghc.exe
> --interactive" instead. All options are recorded in the windows registry
> and are kept among different sessions.

> A history of issued commands is kept by WinGhci. This history is also
> recorded in the registry, so that it is also kept among sessions. You
> can move through your command history by using the UP and DOWN
> keys. Additionally, you can search in your history. Simply type a text
> and press TAB repeatedly to search all previous commands containing that
> text. You can also clear the current command by pressing ESC.

Hope this helps.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^