[Haskell-beginners] A difficult package

Ben Wise bwise at oceanofstones.net
Wed Jul 14 13:20:09 EDT 2010

Folks,

I'm trying to work through Conrad Barski's Haskell tutorial,
http://www.lisperati.com/haskell/, and I've run into a difficult package
problem. I've googled around for two days, but nothing seems to work.

Basically, I can not get it recognize matchRegex, mkRegex, and similar.
They are all in the Text.Regex.Posix package, and version 0.94.1 is
installed according to 'cabal list regex'. The 'import Text.Regex.Posix'
line compiles just fine, so it is finding the package: it just doesn't
find the symbols in it ?!

But (under all four combinations of command line ghc or Leksah on Windows
7 or Ubuntu), it keeps trying to use the 'base' version, not posix. At
least, that's what 'ghc -v main.hs' seems to be saying. In Leksah, adding
some of the suggested build dependencies fixed earlier problems with
importing the Text and Random things, but adding 'regex-compat' as
suggested did not help.

Has anyone else gotten CB's tutorial to work?

Any suggestions as to how to get Text.Regex.Posix imported?

--
Ben Wise, PhD
0xCAF514E1